The Sex Therapy Certificate (STC) at CIIS strives to provide clinicians with the highest quality sexuality and sex therapy education. It is our mission to offer comprehensive training to psychotherapists, counselors, social workers, couples’ therapists, and allied professionals, in support of practitioners offering sex therapy as a naturally integrated part of the therapeutic experience. The STC program has the distinction of being one of the few programs in the nation offered by an accredited academic institution, and also provides 75 Continuing Education Credits (CEs) for California licensed LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LMFTs.
CIIS' history of contributions in the fields of counseling psychology, integral health, and sexuality studies form the basis for our approach to the certificate. We strive to provide an integral view of the field of sex therapy. This approach means including multiple perspectives and philosophies, remaining rooted in a sex positive view, and affirming the diversity of sexual practices, experiences, and identities of our communities and clients.
This certificate is designed as additional training for counseling professionals who are licensed, are license eligible, or who have completed their coursework to become license eligible. Types of professionals for whom this program applies include (but not limited to):
• Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCC)
• Marriage and Family Therapists (MFT)
• Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW)
• Clinical and Counseling Psychologists (PsyD)
• Psychiatrists and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners (MD & NP)
Under specific circumstances, prospective medical and mental health professionals, who are not yet licensed, may apply if they have completed the great majority of their coursework and have secured a traineeship or internship for gaining training hours of counseling and psychotherapy and have plans to complete their coursework in parallel.
We especially encourage applications from individuals within the above list who: are military veterans; identify as people of color; identify as LGBTQQAI, and/or serve marginalized or under-represented populations.
Click here to learn more about the program and the types of professionals for whom it applies. For questions about this certificate program, please contact Kyle DeMedio at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 655-5561.
July 1st, 2020: Early Application Discount Deadline
July 1st, 2020: Scholarship Application Deadline
August 20th, 2020: Application Deadline
Fall 2020 Sex Therapy Cohort Weekends
Click here for detailed class schedule
• September 25th - 27th
• October 30th - November 1st
• December 3rd - 6th
1) Background and Goal Statement - In 2-3 pages, please describe your background and interest in this certificate. Tell us anything pertinent regarding your personal development, professional experience, professional license(s) held and/or the stage you are in with regard to your clinical licensure, training or internship. Include descriptions of your training in psychotherapy, sexuality or related areas. Share how you learned didactically and where you practiced these skills and knowledge sets.
Additionally, please share with us what you hope to do with this certificate in your work or in the world. Make sure to consider both the concrete ways you might use this training for career advancement but also the larger intentions or purpose this might fulfill.
2) Resume or Curriculum Vitae - Include a short resume or CV that outlines the history of your higher education, practica, internships, residencies, licenses, research, work in service to communities, teaching, and fieldwork.
3) Scholarship Application - CIIS Public Programs is offering (1) full scholarship and (3+) partial scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each. To apply, please write a 1-page letter that describes your financial situation and why you are applying for a scholarship. Please indicate whether you are applying for the full, partial, or either scholarship.
Deadline for scholarship application is July 1st, 2020. Recipients will be notified by August 10th, 2020. Scholarships will be given out in the form of a discount on the final program fee.
Application Deadline: August 20th, 2020
Deposit: $200 - Applications will not be considered without deposit. Early Application Discounts: $100 off before July 1st, 2020.
Full Program Fee: $6,500
CIIS Discount: All current and former CIIS students are eligible to receive a 20% discount off the program fee.
Payment Plans: All accepted students will be eligible for payment plan options (one, two, or four installments) at no extra charge. For questions about fees and payment, including payment plans, please contact Kyle at email@example.com or (415) 655-5561.
Payment and Cancellation Policies
A deposit of $200 is due at the time of application. If you are not accepted, or if you wish to cancel after the payment of the initial deposit, this fee will be refunded minus a $100 processing fee. After payment of the initial deposit of $200, payment of the remaining balance of $6,300 must be received by September 10th, 2020, to secure your space in the program. Payment plans are available and will be provided to accepted applicants. If a student withdraws before October 1st, 2020, fifty percent of the full fee ($3,250) will be due. The full fee of $6,500 is due if a student withdraws after October 1st, 2020.
Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis until the Fall 2020 cohort is full. Applicants will be notified within one month of submitting their application.