The Sex Therapy Certificate (STC) at CIIS strives to provide clinicians with the highest quality sexuality and sex therapy education. It is our mission to offer comprehensive training to psychotherapists, counselors, social workers, couples’ therapists, and allied professionals, in support of practitioners offering sex therapy as a naturally integrated part of the therapeutic experience. The STC program has the distinction of being one of the few programs in the nation offered by an accredited academic institution, and also provides 75 Continuing Education Credits (CEs) for California licensed LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LMFTs.
CIIS' history of contributions in the fields of counseling psychology, integral health, and sexuality studies form the basis for our approach to the certificate. We strive to provide an integral view of the field of sex therapy. This approach means including multiple perspectives and philosophies, remaining rooted in a sex positive view, and affirming the diversity of sexual practices, experiences, and identities of our communities and clients.
This certificate is designed as additional training for counseling professionals who are licensed, are license eligible, or who have completed their coursework to become license eligible. Types of professionals for whom this program applies include (but not limited to):
• Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCC)
• Marriage and Family Therapists (MFT)
• Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW)
• Clinical and Counseling Psychologists (PsyD)
• Psychiatrists and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners (MD & NP)
Under specific circumstances, prospective medical and mental health professionals, who are not yet licensed, may apply if they have completed the great majority of their coursework and have secured a traineeship or internship for gaining training hours of counseling and psychotherapy and have plans to complete their coursework in parallel.
We especially encourage applications from individuals within the above list who: are military veterans; identify as people of color; identify as LGBTQQAI, and/or serve marginalized or under-represented populations.
Click here to learn more about the program and the types of professionals for whom it applies. For questions about this certificate program, please contact us at email@example.com or (415) 575-6175.
June 1st, 2019: Early Application Discount Deadline
June 15th, 2019: Scholarship Application Deadline
July 1st, 2019: Scholarship Recipients Notified
July 31st, 2019: Application Deadline
Fall 2019 Sex Therapy Cohort Weekends
Click here for detailed class schedule.
• September 27-29
• November 1-3
• December 12-15
1) Background and Goal Statement - In 2-3 pages, please describe your background and interest in this certificate. Tell us anything pertinent regarding your personal development, professional experience, professional license(s) held and/or the stage you are in with regard to your clinical licensure, training or internship. Include descriptions of your training in psychotherapy, sexuality or related areas. Share how you learned didactically and where you practiced these skills and knowledge sets.
Additionally, please share with us what you hope to do with this certificate in your work or in the world. Make sure to consider both the concrete ways you might use this training for career advancement but also the larger intentions or purpose this might fulfill.
2) Resume or Curriculum Vitae - Include a short resume or CV that outlines the history of your higher education, practica, internships, residencies, licenses, research, work in service to communities, teaching, and fieldwork.
3) Scholarship Application (optional) - CIIS Public Programs is offering (5) scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each. To apply, please write a 1-page letter that describes your financial situation and why you are applying for a scholarship.
Deadline for scholarship application is June 15th, 2019. Recipients will be notified by July 1st, 2019. Scholarships will be given out in the form of a discount on the final program fee.
Deposit: $200 - Applications will not be considered without deposit. Early Application Discounts: $100 off before June 1st, 2019
Application Deadline: July 31st, 2019
Full Program Fee: $6,000
Payment and Cancelation Policies
A deposit of $200 is due at the time of application. If you are not accepted, or if you wish to cancel after the payment of the initial deposit, this fee will be refunded minus a $100 processing fee. After payment of the initial deposit of $200, payment of the remaining balance of $5,800 must be received by September 1st, 2019, to secure your space in the program. Payment plans are available and will be provided to accepted applicants. If a student withdraws before October 1st, 2019, fifty percent of the full fee ($3,000) will be due. The full fee of $6,000 is due if a student withdraws after October 1st, 2019.
Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis until Fall 2019 cohort is full. Applicants will be notified within one month of submitting their application.